S e n t i r e C u m E c c l e s i a

"To keep ourselves right in all things, we ought to hold fast to this principle: What seems to me to be white, I will believe to be black if the hierarchical Church thus determines it. For we believe that between Christ our Lord, the Bridegroom, and the Church, His Spouse, there is the one same Spirit who governs and guides us for the salvation of our souls..." - Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius [365]

Saturday, July 29, 2006

The Feast of the Generous Saint

Today, The Jesuits the world over are celebrating the Solemnity of St. Ignatius of Loyola, Founder and first Superior General of the Society of Jesus. It was believe that he was born in the year 1491. He died on the 31st of July, 1556. St. Ignatius labored much for God and for the Church. He founded the Society of Jesus mainly to do things and tasks for the greater glory of God. He was canonized by Pope Gregory XV on March 12, 1622. He was eventually declared the Patron of all spiritual exercises by Pope Pius XI.

This year is very special to the Jesuits since we remember the 450th death anniversary of St. Ignatius. The icon on the left is actually a tarp designed the the Jesit Vocations Promotions - Philippines. You may click it to have it enlarged. Below is the most famous prayer composed by St. Ignatius, hich in a way sums up his spirituality. Everthings is grace... take and receive them Lord, since you have bestowed them so generously, I offer them all back to you... Ad Majorem, Dei Gloriam!

Sume et Suscipe

Take, O Lord, and receive all my liberty,
my memory, my understanding, and all my will,
all I have and possess; you have given it me; to you, Lord, I return it;
all is yours, dispose of it entirely according to your will.
Give me your love and grace,
because that is enough for me.... Amen.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home