S e n t i r e C u m E c c l e s i a

"To keep ourselves right in all things, we ought to hold fast to this principle: What seems to me to be white, I will believe to be black if the hierarchical Church thus determines it. For we believe that between Christ our Lord, the Bridegroom, and the Church, His Spouse, there is the one same Spirit who governs and guides us for the salvation of our souls..." - Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius [365]

Thursday, March 16, 2006

The Saint with a Clover Leaf

Today, The Universal Church celebrates the memory of St. Patrick, the Patron of Ireland. Legend has it that while he was preaching about God and about the Catholic faith, he was asked to explain in a very concise way his God, the Triune God, can be possible. It was then that St. Patrick exuded his wisdom and brotherly affection. Very gently, he stopped down and picked a clover leaf. Showing the clover, he then asked those who questioned him how many leaves are there and they responded three. Subtly he continued by saying that there are indeed three leaves but... he asked further, how many cloversa am i holding? They then simply replied only one. It was then that St. Patrick explained in a very simle yet powerful way the mystery of the Trinity. He said, "In the same manner that there are three leaves but one clover... there are three persons -- Father, Son, and Spirit -- in One God.

So as we remember St. Patrick, let us thank the Lord for the gift of faith. The faith shared, explained, and defended by St. Patrick.

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

note:
The most famous Prayer of St. Patrick

“Christ shield me this day: Christ with me, Christ before me, Christ behind me, Christ in me, Christ beneath me, Christ above me, Christ on my right, Christ on my left, Christ when I lie down, Christ when I arise, Christ in the heart of every person who thinks of me, Christ in the eye that sees me, Christ in the ear that hears me.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home