S e n t i r e C u m E c c l e s i a

"To keep ourselves right in all things, we ought to hold fast to this principle: What seems to me to be white, I will believe to be black if the hierarchical Church thus determines it. For we believe that between Christ our Lord, the Bridegroom, and the Church, His Spouse, there is the one same Spirit who governs and guides us for the salvation of our souls..." - Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius [365]

Thursday, March 02, 2006

"Good Samaritans" Among Us...

This morning I went to the City of Manila to do Vocations Promotions work for the Jesuits in the universities in the area as well as in the parishes in the vicinity. I must admit that I was apprehensive in going there alone since I'm not from Manila and it was basically my first time to go there...alone!

But my work was made a lot easier by the total strangers who helped me find my way to go to one place to the next. I believe they deserve to be mentioned. two middle-aged men helped me find my way to the St. Lorenzo Ruiz Catholic Center from the train station. Two female college students gave me directions on how to go to the De La Salle University from the Philippine General Hospital. A middle-aged lady helped me find my way to go to the Manila Cathedral from Taft Ave. And a student of Lyceum of the Philippines, Risa, generously brought me to the jeepney station on my way to the train station.

I must admit that the day was a great blessing from the Lord. It made me see the reality that by myself I can do nothing. I can only do things with God's grace... being manifested in and through people... and in my case, through total strangers.

And I believe this is the message of the season of Lent for me, and perhaps, to the rest of us. An invitation to allow God to be God in our lives. The challenge to permit our very selves to be "wowed" by the God of wonder!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home