S e n t i r e C u m E c c l e s i a

"To keep ourselves right in all things, we ought to hold fast to this principle: What seems to me to be white, I will believe to be black if the hierarchical Church thus determines it. For we believe that between Christ our Lord, the Bridegroom, and the Church, His Spouse, there is the one same Spirit who governs and guides us for the salvation of our souls..." - Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius [365]

Thursday, November 24, 2005

Memorial of St. John Berchmans, Religious of the Society of Jesus


Every 26th of November, the universal Society of Jesus celebrates the Memory of a young Saint, John Berchmans. St. John Berchmans, S.J. (1599-1621) entered the Society of Jesus at the age of seventeen. During his brief life he quickly gained a reputation for being observant and faithful to his religious duties and his studies. He was well-known for his brilliance in philosophy. Considered by many Jesuits as the perfect personification of fidelity to the Constitutions of the Society. He died on 13 August 1921. He was canonized by Pope Leo XIII in the year 1888. Below is a prayer composed by St. John Berchmans. The prayer is taken from the booklet "Hearts on Fire."



Mary, My Advocate

Holy Mary, Virgin Mother of God,
I choose you this day
to be my queen, my patroness, and my advocate,
and I firmly resolve never to leave you,
and never to say or do anything against you,
nor ever permit others to do anything against your honor.
Receive me, then, I beg of you, for your servant forever.
Help me in my every action,
and abandon me not at the hour of my death. AMEN.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home