S e n t i r e C u m E c c l e s i a

"To keep ourselves right in all things, we ought to hold fast to this principle: What seems to me to be white, I will believe to be black if the hierarchical Church thus determines it. For we believe that between Christ our Lord, the Bridegroom, and the Church, His Spouse, there is the one same Spirit who governs and guides us for the salvation of our souls..." - Spiritual Exercises of St. Ignatius [365]

Monday, November 21, 2005

Blessed Miguel Agustin Pro, S.J. Martyr of Mexico


A Prayer Asking to Stand near Mary
By Bl. Miguel Agustin Pro, S.J.

Let me spend life near thee, O Mother,
to keep thee company in thy solitude and deepest grief;
let me feel in my soul the sadness of thine eyes
and the abandonment of thy heart.

On life's highway I do not seek the gladness of Bethlehem;
i do not wish to adore the Infant God in they virginal hands,
nor to enjoy the winsome presence of Jesus
in they humble home of Nazareth,
nor to mingle with the angelic choirs in thy glorious Assumption.

My wish in life is for the jeers and derision of Calvary;
for the slow agony of thy Son,
for the contempt, the disgrace and infamy of the Cross.
My wish, O most sorrowful Virgin, is to stand near thee,
to strengthen my soul through thy tears,
to complete my offering through thy martyrdom,
to temper my heart through thy solitude
and to love my God and thy God through my self-sacrifice. AMEN.



Blessed Miguel Agustin Pro, S.J. is a priest from Mexico who was executed for his Catholic Faith on 23 November 1927. He died by a firing squad with his arms extended in the form of a cross. Blessed Pro was beatified by Pope John Paul II on 25 September 1988, and the Society of Jesus celebrates his memory every 23rd of November.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home